Friday, September 17, 2010

a little geekout

I went to see my friend's hardcore band play Tuesday night, and tested a new (well, new to me) camera that can shoot at 3200 ISO. This number refers to film sensitivity, meaning that it can make images in very low light. And that's important because I shoot a lot in bad light and don't like using a flash.

Let's geek out for a second. Here's a photo I shot Tuesday night in Chicago. I have clearer ones, but I like this the best. Not sure what produced that green flare spot.

SLIM6276

So, that one above was shot with the Canon Mark III. Compare that with this shot of Sugar & Gold I took in New York last year with the Mark II.

Sugar & Gold at The Delancey

See how much grainier the second one is? It was also shot at 3200 ISO, f 4.0, with a focal length of 24mm. This first shot was exposed a touch longer (1/15 as opposed to 1/25 of a second, but I never said this was a scientific comparison. The lighting conditions were also different--probably equally crappy, but different.)

In any case, I approve. I would have loved this sort of low-light resolution during the blackouts in Buenos Aires.

1 comment: