Tuesday, March 30, 2010

MALBA

I have been here for four months and have only visited one museum. Last week.

malba-int

MALBA stands for Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires. There was an Art of the Cuban Vanguard exhibit going on that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. The building itself reminded me of the interior of the Guggenheim in New York, with the galleries hidden and somewhat difficult to navigate, and this dramatic center of usually wasted space. The one brilliant exception was the Cai Guo-Qiang exhibit they had in Spring 2008 called "I Want to Believe." I thought it would be shallow and overblown, but went because I was in a bad state and I could get in there for free with my Columbia ID. It was incredible. I still remember the feeling of vulnerability and absolute wonder I had when I stood at the top of the spiral, after having walked through the entire exhibit, and looking down at all those silly cars. Nothing seemed so silly anymore.

Check out a NYTimes slideshow on it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment