Monday, March 8, 2010

meat market

Next to the verduleria (vegetable stand) near my house, there is this abandoned market. One side is open where there is a snack bar. Empty stands line the perimeter of the big room, and everything is fading and peeling and withering away. Imagine my surprise when I went to buy some vegetables the other day and standing behind the central stand was a butcher in his white apron and cap, like he had always been there. He had two cuts of meat in the case in front of him.

mm05

I went home to get my tripod because the light was very low and came back to shoot inside. There were some sanitation workers in back playing cards. I was even more surprised when a guy came in to buy meat. Where did this butcher come from? Why have I never seen him before? It was all very strange.

3 comments: