Saturday, April 3, 2010

dried up

After 13 hours on the bus, I took another 2-hour trip to Tupungato, where I got stranded for the night after spending hours wandering and waiting in vain. It was an extremely frustrating experience. Phones weren't working, taxis weren't working, what a mess. It is also not a good idea to arrive in a small town during siesta time. Even the river in town didn't work.

rio02

It wasn't the 30th birthday I'd been hoping for. Instead of being on this beautiful Andean ranch under the stars, I spent the night in Tupungato, a town of about 37,500 people. When I went out for dinner at 10 pm, everyone in town seemed to be outside along the main commercial street, chilling or strolling or playing in the park. It was very beautiful. Everyone knew each other. I've never really been in a place like that.

And so, unexpectedly, my wish to spend my 30th birthday in a place I'd never heard of before was granted.

2 comments:

  1. love that you found the "feliz cumple" graf. and the horse. sometimes the line between misadventure and adventure isn't much of a border at all, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the funny thing is that i walked around to get the horse in the photo and didn't see the Feliz Cumple until I posted it

    ReplyDelete