Thursday, April 22, 2010

my AhMah

My grandmother passed away this morning. She was 87 years old. I was fortunate enough to have arrived just yesterday to Singapore to say goodbye. This is her, on the right, and with one of her sisters. She's on the right, in the dark-colored dress. Doesn't she look like a movie star?

ahmah

She helped to raise me and my brothers when we were kids, living with us for about six months of every year. For some reason she always came in the winter, which I thought of as odd when I discovered how warm Singapore is. She hated to drive and she hated the cold, but she liked being with us. She was a different person in Singapore, where she was independent and could take the bus and the subway everywhere. She was a different person in these photos, too. (I mean, clearly! She was in black-and-white.)

It is like we live not just one life, but many--we see so many things, meet so many people. May we all be so loved and looked after not just in the end, but throughout our many lives.

with love from across the oceans
stephanie

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your loss Steph. My Grandfather recently pasted away at the ripe old age of 91 (almost 92). I'm glad you got a chance to see her. It's great that you were able to make it out there and to spend some time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are great shots! she does look like a movie star. hope all is ok-- i love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. my, what a lovely woman! thinking of you and hoping you are well

    ReplyDelete