Wednesday, April 21, 2010

i'm somewhere else

I'm away right now, automating posts. I hope my trip is going well. Posts to come, obviously...

...So this is an old photo, of when I was boarding the little plane in Calama, Chile (the DESERT), for a short flight down to Santiago. This was last March, on my SPRING BREAK 2009, but so more tame than GGW. This photo for me---this is the stuff that dreams are made of. It has all the critical elements of solitude, desert, and travel. After I took this photo, I found myself seated next to a guy with the strangest accent. He was ethnically Chinese, but raised in Moscow, residing in MONGOLIA, and living the heretofore-unheard-of rock star life of a geologist. He got flown to all these remote, fascinating parts of the world, courtesy of big corporations looking for the next great resource to exploit. When we got to Santiago de Chile, I hitched a ride to the city center with their chartered geologist bus, stashed my big backpack at their fancy hotel, and then he bought me lunch.

Takeoff

I really loved Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment