Tuesday, February 9, 2010

conversation practice partners

Everyone knows I love to talk to cab drivers. I get it from my dad. Cabbies are full of great information. For example: the population of Lima, Peru is 17 percent Chinese, and you can make killer chili that you can actually get drunk off of (by adding a bottle of tequila and a bottle of brandy).

This was the 20-year-old cab driver who took me home Saturday night. Unlike in New York, most of the cab drivers here are locals, or at least from the region. This guy was an exception; he's from Mexico.

taxi

Not all cabbie experiences are great, though. My first one here tried to charge me double the fare. And my roommate was physically assaulted by his cab driver the week before Christmas when he tried to pay a 25-peso fare with a 50-peso note. They are really sassy about giving change here.

1 comment:

  1. !!! Yeah, I find people in Latin America completely *sassy* about change. In my experience it's very offensive not to have small bills on you at all time. I do like the policy in NY that you can pay how you want-- had to remind some crabby driver that I had that right after he was bitching at me about "not telling him" that I was going to pay with a card. I know it costs more for them to process the VISA, but if your business chooses to accept them, don't bitch at me when people choose to do so. Also: a cab driver in Madrid was the first local person abroad who insisted my Spanish was excellent; from then on I babble fearlessly in local languages to cabbies. xox

    ReplyDelete