Sunday, February 14, 2010

love, trees, and near-tripod-bludgeoning

I took this photo a year ago, on Valentine's Day, near Inwood Hill Park in Manhattan. Yep, I was tromping around the deserted Hudson River Parkway by myself on Valentine's Day. But that day yielded some of my favorite photos (including this one), so...it's awesome being single.

Hudson River Parkway, Manhattan

There is kind of a weird story that goes along with this photo. Like I said, I was alone and it was near dusk, and I was heading home because it was so cold out and as much as I wanted to stay to shoot, I also wanted to be out of the woods by dark. I was technically in park, but an abandoned one that I accessed by skipping a rotting gate, so it was a little creepy. At one point I saw a guy walking toward me on the same narrow path by the river, about 50 meters away or something. I looked down for a quick second (it was really muddy) and when I looked up again, he was gone.

My adrenaline shot up like a rocket. I froze on the spot and tried to listen--did he foist off into the woods? Was he waiting for me to walk by to pounce on me? I thought about backtracking to the fence I'd hopped to enter, but not only did that mean going backwards, it meant I'd be looking back over my shoulder the entire way. I immediately dropped my pack to the ground and unstrapped my tripod to use as a weapon in case I was about to be attempted-murdered and kicked into the river.

I really hate being scared. I am not into scary movies at all. But I also hate the feeling of being scared for no reason. So I crept forward and called out, "Hello?" And a few seconds later--though of course it felt like longer--he emerged from the trees, buckling his belt. He had just stepped aside to take a piss. We passed each other, me still gripping my iron-clad tripod like a bat.

And then, in this perfect light, I got this beautiful shot. The trees look so combative at the time, but when I look at it later, it looks like a tree party. Happy Valentine's Day! You didn't die!

No comments:

Post a Comment